A time-honored tradition at the State Fair of Texas, the AT&T Red River Showdown between the University of Oklahoma Sooners and the University of Texas Longhorns has been played at the State Fair since 1929. With an 11:00 a.m. Central Time kick-off, the State Fair is urging fans to arrive early to make sure they have plenty of time to go through security, not only into the fairgrounds but also into Cotton Bowl Stadium for the game. The Fair is also urging fans to be aware of COVID-19 safety protocols for the Fair, which include required face masks at all indoor facilities, and the clear bag policy for Cotton Bowl Stadium by visiting BigTex.com/COVID and BigTex.com/football.
Below are a few reminders for those attending the game at the State Fair of Texas on Saturday, October 9, 2021. All times are in Central Time.
- Due to an 11:00 a.m. local kick-off time, the State Fair will open early to allow fans to arrive and enjoy the Fair before game time, so plan your travel to the fairgrounds accordingly.
- Your game ticket includes admission to the most iconic pre-game party of the year, the State Fair of Texas.
- State Fair Will Call will open at 6:30 a.m.
- Official State Fair parking lots located at gates 2, 6, 11, and 15. All gates will open at 7:00 a.m.
- Coupon Booths and Online Coupon Pick up Centers will open at 7:00 a.m.
- Purchase coupons ahead of time at BigTex.com and skip the long lines. Pick up your coupons at a Hospitality Center instead of a Coupon Booth.
- Hospitality Centers and Information Booths will open at 7:00 a.m.
- Outdoor concessions, in addition to concessions inside the Tower Building Food Court, will open at 8:00 a.m.
- The State Fair of Texas Midway will open at 8:00 a.m.
- ESPN College GameDay will air LIVE from 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. in Cotton Bowl Plaza (between Cotton Bowl Stadium and the Leonhardt Lagoon). Fans are urged to arrive early. Fans may bring flags and signs for ESPN College GameDay through State Fair gates up until 8 a.m. They must be discarded after the show.
- All exhibit buildings, outdoor exhibits, and indoor concessions (except the Tower Building, which opens earlier) will open at 9:00 a.m.
- Gates to the Cotton Bowl will open at 9:00 a.m.
- Game tickets will be scanned at the entrance to the Fair and at all Cotton Bowl gates as you enter the stadium. Be sure to download your game tickets and save them to your phone before arriving to the fairgrounds.
- Based on the current weather forecast, we remind all fans and fairgoers to stay hydrated and apply sunscreen throughout the day.
- Don’t forget to bring your face mask. The Fair is following a current Dallas County mandate, which requires masks be worn while indoors. If you forget or something happens to your mask while on the fairgrounds, we will have a supply at all entry gates and Hospitality Centers.
- For the safety of all game attendees, a clear bag policy is in effect for all events at Cotton Bowl Stadium within Fair Park. Visit BigTex.com/football for more details.
- DART trains and buses will become more crowded as game-time approaches and at locations closer to Fair Park. Don’t forget your face mask. There is currently a federal face mask requirement that requires face masks to be worn by all travelers while on public transportation. For DART schedules, visit DART.org/schedules.
- The Fair has metal detection at all pedestrian gates to include walkthrough metal detectors. Please read any signage and listen to gate attendants for directions upon entry.
- For a list of items allowed and not allowed at the Fair, visit BigTex.com/faq.
- For a list of prohibited items in the Cotton Bowl, visit BigTex.com/football.
- After the game, be sure to stick around to enjoy the fun and attractions the State Fair of Texas has to offer, see country music artist, Jack Ingram, perform on the Chevrolet Main Stage at 6:00 p.m., enjoy fireworks at the Mattress Firm Illumination Sensation at 8:00 p.m. along the Esplanade, and see comedian Bill Engvall deliver a good laugh on the Chevrolet Main Stage at 8:30 p.m. The Fair is open until 10:00 p.m.
- For a map of the fairgrounds, visit BigTex.com/map.
- For a full schedule of events, visit BigTex.com/schedule.
All game tickets include admission to the State Fair of Texas. With more than 100 things to do, all included with admission, the State Fair of Texas is the best tailgate experience of the year. The 2021 State Fair runs through Sunday, October 17.