It's a big job!
Thank you for your interest in working for the State Fair of Texas. The State Fair of Texas Administration Offices are open year-round and require a hard-working, fun-loving staff to prepare for each yearly Fair, as well as the many other initiatives the State Fair produces as a nonprofit organization. Click the button below to view any available jobs for State Fair of Texas administration.
State Fair Seasonal Employment
Join Big Tex’s Seasonal team! Working at the State Fair of Texas is just as fun as a visit to the annual event. If you’re an outgoing, friendly, and energetic person who likes to celebrate all things Texan, join the Big Tex team. The State Fair, in partnership with its vendors, exhibitors, and concessionaires, has numerous seasonal positions to fill, making it one of the premier expositions in the country.SEASONAL EMPLOYMENT
Full Time Jobs at the Fair
Director, Community Affairs & Strategic Alliances
To apply, send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Director of Community Affairs and Strategic Alliances at the State Fair of Texas, oversees and provides strategic leadership for community relations, partnerships, and educational programming. This role manages and leads the day-to-day operations of State Fair of Texas education and community outreach programs, both at the fairgrounds and offsite. Responsible for identifying, defining, and executing partner relations locally, nationally, and internationally (when necessary) for the organization.
The Director will assess existing programs and lead the reorganization and development of programs, as needed, to continue to serve the Fair’s target audiences and help position the nonprofit organization to more effectively fulfill its mission to celebrate all things Texan by promoting agriculture, education, and community involvement through quality entertainment in a family-friendly environment.
Working closely with senior leadership, this person will influence and implement the Fair’s strategic agenda in education and community programming to help ensure high-quality experiences for the surrounding and greater communities, as well as Fair guests.
Critical to the role is the ability to develop and oversee the Fair’s work in partnership with community and business leaders, nonprofits, faith-based entities, and city government agencies, as necessary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Specific responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop and implement community engagement strategy that includes the support and long-term sustainability of other nonprofit organizations in the local area
• Responsible for grant oversight and criteria; manage requests, review/approval process, and distribution of funds for community programs
• Advisor to senior leadership on issues related to community affairs and initiatives and to examine growth opportunities of current and potential external partners to expand revenue and visibility
• Cultivate relationships with foundations and corporate donors for community programs
• Responsible for leadership and coordination of all current community and educational initiatives
• Develop new program ideas and content that further the Fair’s mission and goals
• Develop and track metrics to measure effectiveness of programs and impact of grants and support
• Responsible for the development and management of on-site learning programs and educational outreach activities
• Develop, refine, and assess State Fair curriculum and learning resources to ensure the Fair provides premium quality education programs
• Manage Fair relationships with community-based organizations. Visit program partners to help capture best practices and define optimal implementation
• Make presentations to audiences to increase visibility and exposure of the fair and commitment to community involvement
• Work closely with colleagues in marketing and public relations to develop overall communication strategy for initiatives
• Assist senior leadership with the board’s role in community affairs and the involvement of auxiliary group to support Fair and community focus
• Assist with special events and projects, as needed
• Supervision of the Community Affairs team to assist in implementation of initiatives
• Operate in a fiscally conscious manner
• Perform related duties and responsibilities as required
• Principles and practices of community relations, marketing, and public relations
• Management procedures and policies
• Effective public speaking techniques
• Event planning practices
• Budgeting and finance administration practices
• Operate personal computer and routine office equipment
• Prepare documents using Microsoft Office programs
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
SUPERVISION RECEIVED and EXERCISED
• Responsible for the Community Affairs team
• Directly supervises part-time employees/interns
EXPERIENCE and TRAINING GUIDELINES
Any combination of experience that would likely provide the required knowledge is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree required
• A minimum of eight years of experience in nonprofit, education, community relations, or related field
• Experience managing a substantial budget
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Experience in leadership, managing, and holding people accountable (LMA)
• Experience in training
• Overall knowledge of South Dallas/Fair Park community a plus
A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered.
Requirements/Other Personal Attributes
The ideal candidate is exceptionally curious, dynamic, innovative, passionate, energetic, gracious, and approachable. This person:
• Is a leader with excellent planning and organizational skills to work with collaborative teams
• Thrives in a fast paced, creative environment and is able to advance simultaneous projects
• Sees the possibilities as opposed to the obstacles, is tenacious in solving problems and results oriented
• Possesses empathy, the ability to inspire, strong communication skills, and pride in their community
• Must be able to work all 24 days of the annual State Fair of Texas event in the fall of each year, in addition to the five days leading up Opening Day and five days following the Closing Day.
• Office environment; exposure to computer screens
• Working outdoors, as necessary, especially during Fair time and special events
• Essential and other important responsibilities and duties require maintaining physical condition necessary for standing and sitting for prolonged periods of time
Video & Photography Production Intern
Possible State Date: June 2022
Possible End Date: December 2022
The State Fair of Texas is seeking a video and photography production intern to assist in the capturing and editing of content needed for use in the promotion of the current Fair and future Fairs. The position will work closely with the Marketing team on assigned projects to capture content during the Fair and edit final packages for use by the Fair (pre-Fair, during the Fair, and post-Fair.) Projects will range from short-form videos for social media channels to editing longer-format pieces for projects that will launch outside the current Fair operating window.
The MKT team will work with this position to ensure there are a variety of project types completed throughout the course of the assignment that could be used in portfolios.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Serve as a member of the Fair’s content team and capture content during the 24 days of the Fair and various special events prior to the Fair. The position will utilize both photography and video to capture content, as outlined by the MKT team. The Fair will provide all equipment needed to fulfil duties.
• Photo editing, as needed, and archiving of Fair photos taken by the content team for the Fair and all special events leading into the Fair for future use.
• Video production of the Fair’s raw video assets collected at past Fairs for used in the promotion of the Fair on social media channels and in the Fair’s marketing.
• End-to-end video production of promotion content for the Fair. Collection of video assets, editing, and delivering final promotional packages for use on the Fair’s social channels and in future marketing efforts.
• Coordinate daily shot sheets for video and photography during the 24 days of the Fair for the MKT dept.
• Assist the social media team with collection and archiving user-generated content for future use.
• Serve as a brand ambassador while on grounds assisting Fairgoers who might need directions or questions answered.
• Working knowledge of digital photography with portfolio / samples available.
• Working knowledge of video production and post-production with portfolio / samples available.
• Working knowledge of social media channels and content formats needed for various channels.
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Take direction and fulfill assignments as outlined by the MKT team.
• Complete projects within the required timelines.
• Maintain a positive attitude during long days and while interacting with Fair customers.
• Act in accordance with established guidelines; communicates and enforces organizational policies and procedures; recognizes and constructively conforms to unwritten rules or practices.
• Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Must be able to interact and communicate effectively with guests, peers, leadership, community officials, media, and the public.
• Quickly gain familiarity with the grounds and attractions of the State Fair of Texas.
• Work all 24 days of the Fair (September 30, 2022, through October 23, 2022).
• Work long hours including early mornings, late nights, and weekends, in all weather conditions, when necessary.
• Maintain strong organizational skills, be detail-oriented, multi-task, and handle high-stress situations with a calm demeanor.
EXPERIENCE and TRAINING GUIDELINES
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
• Minimum of two college level photography classes (or equivalent)
• Working knowledge of Photoshop and/or Lightroom
• 1+ years of experience using Adobe Premiere or similar non-linear editing software is preferred
• 1+ years of experience in video pre-production, production and postproduction, including operating a digital camera (digital video camera or DSLR), setting and striking lighting equipment, capturing audio, transferring and logging digital video files, editing video in a non-linear editing software, lite audio enhancements, and exporting media to various digital video formats.
• Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office – Word, Excel
• Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Must have interpersonal skills to deal effectively with all internal audiences and customers of the Fair
● Office environment; exposure to computer screens.
● Working outdoors in various weather conditions and on uneven and/or slippery surfaces, as necessary, especially during Fair time and special events.
• Essential and other important responsibilities and duties require maintaining physical condition necessary for prolonged standing, bending, and lifting; walking and driving golf carts outdoors; sitting for prolonged periods of time; working consistently requires manual dexterity while doing manual labor.
To apply for this job please send an email with a resume attached to email@example.com.