Big Tex Fair Food Drive-Thru FAQs
How does the Fair Food Drive-Thru process work?
The Big Tex Fair Food Drive-Thru will operate Fridays through Sundays during the originally anticipated dates of this year’s State Fair of Texas, as well as Monday, October 12 and Thursday, October 15: September 25-27, October 2-4, 9–12, 15-18. Due to the historic AT&T Red River Showdown between the University of Texas and the University of Oklahoma in Cotton Bowl Stadium, the Drive-Thru event will not occur on Saturday, October 10. There will be a special photo only experience kicking off on Friday, September 19 and 20.
Once you have purchased a ticket for the Drive-Thru, be sure to arrive on the day you selected within the allotted time window chosen at checkout. Vehicles may only enter Fair Park Gate 11 at Fitzhugh Ave. and Lagow St. Once you arrive on the grounds you will be greeted by our Tex Team members who will scan your ticket and make sure you have the proper package signage in your car for other Tex Team members to see along the 1.25 mile Drive-Thru route. Be sure to stay in your car throughout the duration of the Drive-Thru, with the exception of the Big Tex photo experience and using the restroom. Enjoy!
Can I bring my State Fair souvenir drink bottle to get it filled?
Unfortunately, no. Due to health and safety protocols we are unable to offer State Fair souvenir drink refills. All drinks included in your purchased package will be bottled and sealed for your safety. Please note, alcoholic drinks are strictly prohibited for this event.
Will there be restrooms?
Yes. While we encourage you to use the restroom before visiting the Big Tex Fair Food Drive-Thru, there will be a limited number of portable restrooms along the Drive-Thru route marked on the map, should you or one of your family members need to use them. Please remember to wear your masks when exiting your vehicle and maintain social distancing. Note, there will be security officers present throughout the Drive-Thru to ensure all health and safety protocols are followed.
How long can I expect to spend at the Big Tex Fair Food Drive-Thru?
Please plan to spend 1-2 hours once you have entered the Drive-Thru experience.
What should I bring to the Big Tex Fair Food Drive-Thru?
Be sure to bring your ticket, either printed or digital. Other than that, it is up to you! If there is anything additional to what you are receiving in your package that you’d like to bring for the ride you’re welcome to bring it. Remember, you will not be able to make any additional in-person purchases for food or drinks.
Can I attend as a pedestrian or biker? What about on a party bus, RV, or oversized vehicle?
Unfortunately, no. Due to health and safety protocols, all guests must purchase tickets in advance for their vehicle. Vehicles with up to eight (8) passengers are permitted for this experience. Due to size constraints, trailers are prohibited, as well as vehicles taller than 9 feet 6 inches.
Where do I find the professional photos that were taken at the event?
Your professional photo will be texted to you instantly, however, if you have issues receiving it you may check back after the event and download your image(s) here.
Where do I enter the fairgrounds for the Drive-Thru?
Please enter Fair Park Gate 11 at Fitzhugh Ave. and Lagow St. This is the only entrance for the Big Tex Fair Food Drive-Thru.
When can I get in line for the Drive-Thru?
If your ticket is for 10:00 a.m. to 12:59 p.m., you may get in line as early as you’d like, but keep in mind that we will not allow vehicles to enter the Drive-Thru until 10:00 a.m.
If your ticket is for 1:00 p.m. to 4:59 p.m., you may get in line starting at 1:00 p.m.
If your ticket is for 5:00 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. you may get in line starting at 5:00 p.m.
Can I purchase more than one package?
Yes. Packages are limited to two per vehicle though.
What if I miss my scheduled ticket date or time? Can I get a refund?
Unfortunately, no. Please be sure to select a date and time you are available to visit the Drive-Thru. No refunds will be offered for this event.
Why can’t I purchase individual items?
To provide you with the best experience and keeping your health and safety in mind, our goal is to make this event as contactless as possible. This means eliminating in-person transactions of individual items. We chose to offer packages of some of the most popular Fair foods to streamline your experience.
What if I decide I want more items?
Unfortunately, you cannot order additional items at the event. Please carefully look over the package options and add-on items when purchasing your ticket for the event on BigTex.com.
Can I use coupons or money to buy extra items at the Drive-Thru?
Unfortunately, no. Due to health and safety protocols, all transactions must be placed on BigTex.com – accepting all major credit cards.
Is there a cost for admission?
No. Admission is included with purchase of any package on BigTex.com.
Is it safe to buy Big Tex Fair Food Drive-Thru tickets from a source other than BigTex.com?
No. We recommend only purchasing from BigTex.com directly to avoid potential scams.
Can I buy tickets at the gate?
Unfortunately, no. Due to health and safety protocols, all tickets must be purchased in advance on BigTex.com.
What food will be available at the Drive-Thru?
Each package includes:
- Soft Drinks or Bottled Waters provided by Haworth Concessions
- Fletcher’s Original State Fair Corny Dogs™
- Jack’s French Fries
- Fried Oreos®
- State Fair Cotton Candy
- Pioneer Kettle Corn
You may also pre-order the following add-ons in packs of two:
- Sweet Connie’s Corn on the Cob
- Additional Fletcher’s Corny Dogs
- Sausage on a stick
- Turkey Legs
Will I be able to request custom adjustments to my food order for allergy or dietary reasons?
Unfortunately, no. Due to health and safety protocols all items will be packaged identically. Additionally, the nature of this one-of-a-kind, streamlined event does not allow us to take custom orders. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If necessary, you may decline any item in your package as you go through the Drive-Thru route.
Why is there a limited number of food vendors?
While we wish we could offer all your favorite Fair foods, the health and safety of all involved remains the top priority. This means we could only host a select number of food vendors, but there are opportunities to support our small businesses and other vendors – please check back in the coming weeks for a list of vendors and how to support them.
Is there somewhere to park after we go thru the Drive-Thru to eat?
Yes, at the end of the 1.25-mile Drive-Thru route, parking lot 8 will be available prior to exiting the fairgrounds, if you’d like to park and enjoy your food immediately. For safety reasons, there will be no tables set up in this parking lot. We ask that you bring a picnic setup or remain in your vehicle to eat. Please note, there will be security officers present to ensure all health and safety protocols, including proper social distancing, are followed.
Can we bring outside food and drink?
Yes, you may bring outside food and drink items in your vehicle. We ask that you properly dispose of any trash you may have in the trash and recycling bins located along the Drive-Thru route. Please note, alcoholic drinks are strictly prohibited for this event.
Health & Safety Info
Will health and safety requirements be in place for this event?
The State Fair will implement the following COVID-19 procedures for the Big Tex Fair Food Drive-Thru:
- Guests will be required to wear face coverings when interacting with any team member.
- Guests will be required to remain in their vehicles, unless using the public portable toilets or disposing of trash in bins placed along the Drive-Thru route.
- All team members are required to wear face coverings at all times.
- All team members are required to wash hands prior to starting work and frequently during shifts and between tasks.
- All team members are subject to temperature checks upon arriving at work.
- All team members handling food are required to wear gloves and change them frequently during shifts and between tasks.
- All team members will keep social distance (6 feet or more) from each other and from guests.
What is the State Fair doing to make sure this will be a safe event?
The State Fair of Texas has designed this event with the health and safety of all involved as the top priority.
- Reduced number of operating days from the traditional 24-day Fair to ensure social (or physical) distancing. A limited number of tickets will be offered for three timed entry windows to minimize peak attendance times, and significantly reduce capacity.
- All purchase transactions moved online, in advance to provide a contactless payment system.
- All attendees must stay in their vehicle for the majority of the drive-thru, with the exception of taking a photo at Big Tex Circle and/ or using the restroom.
- Health and safety procedures at the Big Tex photo opportunity, including but not limited to, managed crowd mitigation, face covering requirements and physical distancing between parties in queue lines, touchless photo opportunity, and sanitizing stations throughout experience.
- Deploy enhanced sanitization measures to our existing protocols for cleanliness that exceed the minimum guidance provided by the CDC in “Guidance for Administrators in Parks and Recreational Facilities.” This includes, but is not limited to, more frequent cleaning and sanitization of high touch areas such as guest-facing and back-of-house operation points and restrooms.
- Deploy a comprehensive communication plan that educates, encourages, and instructs guests, participants, vendors, and staff on our implemented health and safety measures throughout the fairgrounds and drive-thru experience. This includes, but is not limited to, pre-arrival messaging, on-grounds signage, and personal re-enforcement for guests while in the fairgrounds drive-thru footprint.
- Multi-elemental protocols for personal protection for all guests, vendors, and staff. This includes, but is not limited to, recommended requirements and provision of personal protective equipment (PPE) for vendors and staff, significant increase in hand sanitizing stations, and physical barriers to facilitate social distancing in traditional congregation points.
- All team members are subject to temperature check upon arriving at work and required to wash hands prior to starting work and frequently during shifts and between tasks.
- All team members are required to wear face masks and/or face shields.
- The State Fair will follow all food-related guidelines as promulgated by the National Restaurant Association (NRA), Texas Restaurant Association (TRA), and the State of Texas.
- All team members handling and/or packaging food are required to wear gloves and frequently change them during shifts and between tasks.
- Social (or physical) distancing will be enforced in each concession booth. Food will be pre-packaged and handled by food expediters outside each booth, allowing guests to remain inside their vehicles.
- Security, including the Dallas Police Department, will be present throughout the event to ensure a safe and family-friendly environment.
Are face masks required?
Face masks will be required for guests when interacting with team members. All team members will be required to wear face coverings at all times, unless they are in the designated break area.
Can I get out of my car to eat?
While we ask you remain inside your car for the duration of the Drive-Thru, you may get out of your car to eat once you have completed the Drive-Thru experience. At the end of the 1.25-mile Drive-Thru route, parking lot 8 will be available prior to exiting the fairgrounds if you’d like to park and enjoy your food immediately. For safety reasons, there will be no tables set up in this parking lot. We ask that you bring a picnic setup or remain in your vehicle to eat. If you choose to exit your vehicle, please maintain social (or physical) distancing at all times. Alcohol is strictly prohibited for this event. Please note, there will be security officers present to ensure all health and safety protocols are followed.
Once arriving to the Fairgrounds, will people be allowed to ride in the bed of a truck through the drive thru?
Unfortunately, no. Due to safety concerns, we ask that all guests remain inside their vehicle throughout the duration of the Drive-Thru, with the exception of the Big Tex photo experience and using the restroom. Please note, there will be security officers present throughout the Drive-Thru route to ensure all health and safety protocols are followed.
Is smoking permitted?
Fair Park is a smoke-free public park. Please do not smoke once you have entered Gate 11.
May I bring my pet to the Food Drive-Thru?
You are welcome to bring your pet, but the pet must remain in your vehicle for the entirety of the Drive-Thru, including the photo opportunity with Big Tex. Please note, there are no restroom stops for animals along the route. For safety, pets cannot roam freely in a truck bed.
Is there another way I can support the State Fair if I’m not able to attend the Big Tex Fair Food Drive-Thru?
There are several ways you can support the State Fair, the Big Tex Scholarship Program, and the various small businesses that rely on the State Fair of Texas for their annual income.
Please check back in the coming weeks for a complete list of food vendors and how to support them.
Please check back in the coming weeks for a complete list of shopping exhibitors and how to support them.
To donate to the Big Tex Youth Livestock Auction and Scholarship Program, please visit BigTex.com/Donate.
What’s the best way to donate to the North Texas Food Bank if I am not attending the Big Tex Fair Food Drive-Thru?
A portion of the proceeds from the Big Tex Fair Food Drive-Thru will also benefit the North Texas Food Bank to help feed our community in need. The State Fair of Texas has historically served as the North Texas Food Bank’s largest food drive of the year through discount day programs like “It’s A Fair Deal”. To continue to support the North Texas Food Bank, please donate directly on their website at give.ntfb.org.
Will the Big Tex Fair Food Drive-Thru operate during the AT&T Red River Showdown football game on October 10?
No; the State Fair will be closed to the general public on October 10 for the AT&T Red River Showdown football game between the University of Texas and the University of Oklahoma. You must have a valid ticket to the 2020 game in order to enter Fair Park on October 10. The reason for the closure is the ensure the health and wellness of all parties involved.
Who should I contact if my question was not previously answered?
You may email the Tex Team at email@example.com. A Tex Team member will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible. For urgent matters, please call 214.565.9931 to speak with a representative, during normal business hours, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.