Advocacy & Lobbying 101: Legal Tips for 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Advocates
501(C)(3) organizations play an important role in educating the public about policy issues and actions taken by elected officials. Elected officials vote on bills, make public statements and executive decisions, and set the course for public policy on a wide range of issues. These actions may be consistent with or conflict with a nonprofit’s mission. After this workshop you will have a clear understanding of how to maximize your advocacy, the kinds of advocacy activities 501(C)(3) nonprofits can engage in, and when a communication is considered lobbying.
Participants will learn:
• How federal tax law and Texas law permit lobbying for charities and how lobbying is defined;
• One easy step most charities can take to maximize the amount they’re allowed to spend on lobbying;
• Yearly lobbying limits for charities;
• Tips for taking advantage of the narrow definitions of lobbying – which will help charities make the most of their lobbying limit; and
• The application of these rules to ballot measure activities.
Who: State Fair of Texas and Community Partners
When: Thursday, July 16, 2020
Time: 10:00 A.M. – 11:30 A.M.
Where: This will be a Zoom presentation. Zoom link will be emailed upon registration.
Cost: Free (Covered by Texas Office Grants)
Register below! Deadline for registration is Wednesday, July 15, 2020.