Opening weekend of the 2014 State Fair of Texas was amazing. Beautiful weather and the smells of funnel cakes marked the return of our 55 foot friend Big Tex®. So what is there to do this week at the Fair? Lots! Here are just a few suggestions from the State Fair staff.
- See the Guacamole Demonstrations at the Cutco Celebrity Chef Kitchen. Learn knife skills and a tasty guacamole recipe. Plus you get to sample after the demo. The Kitchen is located in the Creative Arts Building. Demos are at 11:30 a.m. daily, except for Thursday and Sundays.
- See the chalk art in the Children’s Boardwalk. Juan Miguel Aguirre is working on some incredible 3-D chalk art over by the Lagoon. From a roller coaster to Big Tex himself, you won’t believe what he is doing with chalk.
- Milking Demo in the Food and Fiber Building. Ever wondered how a cow makes milk? Then stop by the Food and Fiber Building for the Southwest Dairy Farmers Live Milking Demos. There are five daily demos where you can learn about the different types of cows, milk production and actually see a dairy cow being milked.
- Visit the Truck Zone. The auto makers have built a city outside the Automobile Building to showcase the latest trucks. Plus there are tons of activities for every member of your family – bull riding, concerts and fun games.
- Take a Picture on the NEW Pontoon Bridge. This year, we built a bridge across the Lagoon to provide better access to the Canstruction exhibit and Kid’s Boardwalk. It is a perfect place to snap a picture of the Texas Star. So shoot that “selfie” and #sharetheSFT.
Be sure to check the Daily Schedule for show times and locations of the activities. See you at the Fair this week.