CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13
The State Fair of Texas (“SFT”, “we”, “us”, and “our”) offers parents to register their children for participation in the Little Lone Stars Club (“Program”) and by registering, parents will be asked to supply certain personal information regarding their children. The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 and its rules (collectively, “COPPA”) applies to information collected online from children under the age of 13 (“children” or “child”). COPPA requires a website that collects information online from children to inform parents and legal guardians (as used in this policy, “parent” or “parents”) about its practices for collecting, using, and disclosing personally identifiable information from children. It also requires the website to obtain verifiable consent from a child’s parent for certain collection, use, and disclosure of the child’s personally identifiable information.
As a nonprofit, COPPA does not apply to the SFT, and because the SFT will only collect a child’s personal information directly from his/her parents, COPPA does not apply; however, because the SFT respects the privacy of children, it voluntarily complies with the COPPA rules regarding the use and disclosure of a child’s personal information provided to the SFT by the parent.
Depending on the elements of the Program, from time to time, you may be required to agree to additional terms and conditions regarding the use and collection of your child’s personal information.
- the types of information we may collect from a parent regarding his/her child;
- how we use the provided information;
- our practices for disclosing such information;
- our practices for notifying parents on how a parent may revoke consent to the use of the child’s information; and
- all operators, if any, who collect or maintain information through this Program on behalf of the SFT.
Information We Collect from Children
Children can access many parts of the SFT website and its content without providing us with personally identifiable information. FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE PROGRAM, HOWEVER, NO CHILD IS REQUIRED TO USE THE SFT WEBSITE OR TO PROVIDE INFORMATION ONLINE TO THE SFT. We only collect certain personally identifying information about a child directly from the child’s parent and collect only as much information about a child as is reasonably necessary for the child to participate in the Program. We do not condition a child’s participation on the disclosure of more personally identifiable information than is reasonably necessary.
If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child in a manner inconsistent with COPPA’s requirements, we will either delete that personal information or seek parental consent.
Information We Collect Directly
We require parents to register their child online to participate in the Program and to provide certain information to the SFT. In the online registration form, a parent must provide the following information:
- the parent’s email address and zip code; and
- the child’s name, complete mailing address, birth month, and birth year.
How We Use Your Child’s Information
We use the child’s personally identifiable information in the following ways:
- To send the child by mail a birthday card from Big Tex during the child’s birthday month; and
- To send various postcards to the child from Big Tex during the year.
Our Practices for Disclosing Children’s Information
We do not share, sell, rent, transfer, or share your child’s personally identifiable information other than as described in this section.
We may disclose aggregated information about many of our website users and information that does not identify any individual or device.
We may also disclose a child’s personally identifiable information in the following limited circumstances:
- to third parties we use to support the internal operations of the SFT and/or this Program and who are bound by contractual or other obligations to use the information only for such purpose and to keep the information confidential;
- if we are required to do so by law or legal process, such as to comply with any court order or subpoena or to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of SFT, our Internet users, participants in the Program, or others, including to:
- protect the safety of a child;
- protect the safety and security of the Program; or
- enable us to take precautions against liability;
- to law enforcement agencies or for an investigation related to public safety.
In addition, if SFT is involved in a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of SFT’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding or event, we may transfer the personally identifiable information we have collected or maintained to the buyer or other successors.
Operators That Collect or Maintain Information from Children
A list of all operators that may collect or maintain personally identifiable information of children which has been provided by parents is available here.
The Program does not offer social features, such as instant messaging, chat, email, posting on message boards, and other features that enable children communicate with others on or through the Services.
Questions, Deletions, and Corrections Regarding Personally Identifiable Information
At any time, you may review the child’s personally identifiable information maintained by us, require us to correct or delete the personally identifiable information, and/or refuse to permit us from further use of the child’s information.
If you: (a) have questions or comments about our Policy; (b) wish to make corrections to any personally identifiable information provided by you; (c) want to opt-out from receiving future commercial correspondence, including emails, from us; (d) wish to withdraw your consent to our use of your child’s personally identifiable information and request that we delete such information; or (e) you have other privacy related questions or concern, you can do so by contacting us at:
State Fair of Texas
P.O. Box 150009
Dallas, TX 75315
Tel: (214) 565-9931
We will respond to your request and, if applicable and appropriate, make the requested change in our active databases as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that we may not be able to fulfill certain requests while allowing your child to participate in the Program.
Terminating Use of Your Child’s Information
Please note that the SFT will maintain and use the personal information collected from you, the parent, as noted herein until either of the following occurs: (1) your child turns 13 yrs. old; or (2) you request in writing that the SFT delete this information and remove his/her child from the Program.
How to Contact Us:
You may contact us as at:
State Fair of Texas
P.O. Box 150009
Dallas, TX 75315
Tel: (214) 565-9931